Friday, June 18, 2021

Tsankawi Ruins Site

Papa and I visited Tsankawi, a Native American site built by Pueblo Indians in the 1400’s and occupied for over 100 years.  It is part of Bandelier National Monument.  We hiked the 1.5 mile long trail, up ladders, past cavates, rock ruins of a pueblo village on the mesa, and petroglyphs.  We were reminded of other places we’ve visited, centuries and even many millennia older, also with carved out cavates, walkways, and waterways - Petra,  Matera, and Elephanta Caves on an island off Mumbai.  


Today is my 64th birthday.  I woke up a bit before 5, thinking about how fortunate my life has been, with so much to be grateful for - Papa, our family, friends, good health, interesting travel, our home... all of it!  I watched the sun rise over mountains this morning.  Papa and I are enjoying five weeks in a house we’ve rented, overlooking Abiquiu Lake and Ghost Ranch.  Life is good!