Monday, July 6, 2020

Four Months and Counting

We’ve been social distancing almost four months, with no end in sight.  Papa and I developed a routine pretty quickly, with me walking daily in early morning while Papa went biking three or four mornings/week.  I began a blog book project that I worked on almost every day since mid-March, stopping each day at 4, to watch PBS News while I biked on my stationary bike and lifted weights.  I made dinner between 5 and 6, and we sat down to day after day of homemade meals, as interesting as I could make them.  We ordered groceries online and had them delivered.  We ordered cleaning supplies and random things from Walmart and did picked ups in the parking lot.  We’ve picked up restaurant meals three times, curbside.  We went to a sit down restaurant once, on my birthday.  We’ve watched all sorts of films, mostly foreign for me.  Papa has read loads of books.

My time during the past four months has been spent working on and thinking about my blog book project and I completed it late yesterday!  The book became three volumes, of about 200 pages each, over 600 pages total!  I ordered one copy to preview before ordering more.  This is an expensive labor of love for our children and grandchildren, telling the stories of Papa and my time on Winchester Ranch, from 2009-2017, the years I blogged on Winchesterranch.blogspot.com.  We were there from 2003 and I took some photos, but I didn’t write about our experiences until 2009, after our first grandson, Toby was born.

From Volume 3:  “ We enjoyed seeing the stars at night, watching the sun come over the mountain in the morning and set over the Rincons in the evening.  When grandchildren were visiting, I would tell them there was a gift at the window, as the sun was setting.  The gift almost every evening, was a spectacular sunset.  During our 13 years on Winchester Ranch, we were closer to the rhythms of nature than at any other time in our lives.  We lived at the end of a road with no through traffic.  We achieved our goal of running a successful and profitable cattle operation. It was an extraordinary time.”