Monday, February 3, 2020

Sutherland Wash Rock Art District Hike

I have read several sources about the Sutherland Wash Rock Art District, but none identify the exact location.  I found a post about the Baby Jesus Ridge Hike, that had three sites' GPS coordinates marked, so I marked them on my google map and off we went yesterday, to find them.  We parked about 2 miles away, as close as we could get, and hiked up a large wash, then up a small creek bed.  We came upon boundary markers for an "archaeological site" and knew we had found something.  We were the only people there.  We kept going uphill, through a boulder strewn trail, and came upon a bounty of petroglyphs.  They were incredible!

The site is just north of Catalina State Park on the western slope of the Santa Catalina Mountains, and has over 3,200 prehistoric recorded petroglyphs.  The site is considered a place of special significance to the late preclassic Hokokam, who inhabited the area from 1000-1300 AD.  We did not find the three sites I marked on my google map, so we'll go back!  We had an amazing hike!