Thursday, May 24, 2018

Chelsea Flower Show on Papa’s Birthday

In January, I bought tickets to go to the Chelsea Flower Show on May 24.  Today was the day, on Papa’s 72nd birthday.  He just wasn’t interested in going so I bought one ticket.  I went by myself, with Claire riding the train with me to Victoria Station.  I arrived by 7:50 a.m. and the doors opened early.  The Chelsea Flower Show was amazing!  The covered pavilion was full of vendors with beautiful displays of multiple colors of the same species, lupine, foxgloves, roses, peonies, clematis, daffodils, and tulips arranged creatively.  The South African exhibit was beautiful with mounds of protea.  There were sculptures made of chicken wire, peacocks with tails of orchids.  I walked about the pavilion over two hours, taking photos and enjoying the exhibits.
I explored the outdoor displays another hour and a half.  I liked some more than others, with the Yorkshire exhibit as my favorite.  The outdoor vendor displays were very creative, including life size horses made from driftwood, a three story round tree house with curved slide, and so much more!  The Chelsea Flower Show was amazing!
We celebrated Papa’s birthday over lunch with friends, Nico and Neil, in Wimbledon Village.  We met Nico and Neil last summer in Sicily.  We talked for close to three hours, enjoying every moment!  We went back to Claire’s for dinner and birthday cake, singing Happy Birthday one more time.  We had a wonderful day!