Monday, October 23, 2017

Unrest



In the spring of 2013, I planned a girls weekend in Princeton, NJ, for my daughters, grandchildren, Mom, and sister-in-law.  I found a house on Airbnb and off we went.  When I arrived,in April 2013,  I recognized the couple that owned the house, Omar and Jen, and within a couple of days remembered I had seen their photograph in the NYTimes Wedding section a couple years prior.  After our girls weekend, I stayed several more days, visiting with Whitney in the afternoons after she left work.  During those days, I got to know Omar and Jen over breakfasts and puttering in their garden.  Jen asked me to write a remodeling plan for them, which I did on the flight home.  Their old farmhouse needed updating.

On Saturday night, after not being in touch with Omar and Jen for four years, they flitted through my mind and I googled them.  It turns out Omar is still a professor at Princeton and Jen has been busy making a film, https://www.unrest.film/, about her health condition, myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), commonly known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.  The film chronicles Jen’s journey over several years, living with ME, along with many others she gets to know along the way.  

The unusual thing about my timing to google Omar and Jen on Saturday night, was the film was to be shown, in a one time showing in Tucson, on Sunday afternoon at 2 PM at the LOFT Theater.  Papa and I went to see the film.  It is very well done and shines a light on a disease that affects millions and we know little about.