Saturday, April 22, 2017

Symbol of the Desert

When I moved to Tucson in 1979, I was amazed by the saguaro cactus.  I had never seen anything like them!  Tall, majestic over the desert, their blooms are pure white in late spring, their red fruit feeds the birds, and their tall trunk becomes a hotel for nesting birds and other small animals.  I highly recommend the book, Cactus Hotel.
Papa and I returned from Kentucky on Thursday.  My Dad is doing as well as can be expected for an 81 year old not in the best of physical condition to start with.  Somehow this visit to where I grew up reminded me of the decision I made 42 years ago to leave Kentucky.  I went to college in Florida, graduating in 1979.  I moved to Tucson that spring to begin my first job, and I met Papa in Tucson.  We moved to Dallas in 1982, for 10 years, then to Sarasota for 11 years, we were on the ranch for 13 years... and here we are in Tucson again!  Life is full of twists and turns and I'm so grateful to live in Tucson again, with several saguaros in our yard.  It is the quintessential symbol of the desert.  And it's spring, and they are blooming!  I love my life!