Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Self Reflection on Jones Creek

Our trip over the past week was very powerful for me.  The morning after we arrived in NC, after spending four days with my Mom & Dad, I went on a walk down Jones Creek Road, along a rushing creek I’ve walked next to many times over the past 61 years.  When I got back to the house, I got a cup of coffee and went out on the porch just a few feet from Jones Creek.  I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the times I sat on the porch on Jones Creek with Aunt Rhea, and how time with her influenced my life.  

Aunt Rhea taught me about a love of reading, from when I was 12 and went on a week long beach vacation with her family.  When I was in college in Florida, I would drive the 100 miles to their house for weekends once or twice a month, just to hang out with her and Uncle Wayne.  She taught me a love of learning, of cooking for pleasure, watching the birds, smelling the flowers, being still and hearing the creek flow, curiosity, and learning when to let things go.  We named Audrey after Aunt Rhea.  Audrey and Dan named Taylor after her, and Claire and David named Emerson after her.  Our children loved her!  She was always smiling and happy to see us when we visited.  She planned daily outings on every visit.  She made biscuits to die for!

Aunt Rhea was loving and kind to people of all walks of life, different ethnicities and with various colors of skin.  She was generous without expecting anything in return.  She and my uncle opened their home to exchange students over the years.  She taught a children’s bible study class and got to know the kids.  She did things in a big way.  Their Christmas tree was 16+’ tall every year, standing in their open two story high living room.  She would entertain women from church, the wives of college executives where my uncle worked, and my cousins friends families, all with amazing food and an interactive game or conversation.  She loved to entertain!  Aunt Rhea had osteoporosis and congestive heart failure.  She remained vibrant and curious to her death.  She watched the latest movies, enjoyed stage plays, kept a journal of books she read for over 30 years with notes about each one, loved ethnic restaurants, enjoyed conversations with all kinds of people, was open minded, loving and kind to everyone, and enjoyed nature.  
 
Aunt Rhea and Uncle Wayne left the small town where they grew up in Kentucky, when they were in their 20’s, to move to Ocala, Florida.  Uncle Wayne was a teacher, then a school principal, and finally an administrator at a community college.  Their three girls are brilliant.  I feel so fortunate to have grown close to Aunt Rhea at an early age and stayed close to her until her death 5 years ago.  Aunt Rhea would be 97 on September 11, born in 1921.  I called her every week and we visited every year or two.  She was my rock when my parents divorced.  Certainly, I am a better person, mother, and wife because of her example.

I took these photos on Saturday morning, before we left Jones Creek.  I got up early to go for a walk.  Rain had fallen the night before.  The ground was wet and the creek was running higher than usual.  The sky was mostly blue with misty, smoky clouds just kissing the mountain tops.  Beautiful!